Obstacles are not always what they seem, they can actually be things that help you move forward, teach you something new or change your direction. I choose to write about obstacles today because I feel that I have now become an obstacle leaping champion this past year. To me, it seemed as soon as the path was clear and I was nearing the finish line, an obstacle would pop up and challenge me. Years ago in the past, I might have let them deter me, discourage me or stop me in my tracks. Today, I take a running leap at them and soar over them, growing and adjusting as I jump. I began to see the good in obstacles and how important they are to our personal growth.
First, if there were no obstacles live would be the same, no good, no bad, no extremes. Just being. When we go after what we want and take a chance on ourselves and our dreams, we will indeed be challenged. In fact, if there are no challenges, perhaps you are not pushing yourself out of your comfort zone enough. Outside of the comfort zone is where change and life happens. Lets discuss 5 reasons that obstacles are good.
5 Reasons Obstacles are Good
- They are necessary for growth. They push us out of our comfort zone and allow us to grow and try new things, new ways of being or new ideas.
- They teach us something. When you are faced with a challenge you have the opportunity to learn from it. It may be something you don’t want to do again or perhaps something that you never thought of before. Either way you learn something.
- They can change your direction or your path. When an obstacle comes along, it can change the direction or path you are on. Like the river flows around the boulder that has landed in its path, you adjust to the obstacle and flow around it.
- They challenge you to do better. You have to ramp up your game when you are faced by an obstacle and that actually makes you do better.
- They make you more determined or stronger. When you don’t let an obstacle stop you from what you are doing or following your dream, it can make you that much more determined and stronger.
The next time you are faced with an obstacle, instead of getting upset, stop and say thank you. Thank you for challenging me so that I can be stronger, better, learn what I need to learn to follow my dream, vision or path. Thank you for teaching me what I did not know, how strong I really am and how much I really want it. Thank you Obstacle.